Early treatment for COVID-19 infection with Monoclonal Antibody (MAB)Therapy for high-risk patients is available at Dignity Health, Yavapai Regional Medical Center (YRMC). To receive the treatment, patients need a physician order and an appointment.
What are monoclonal antibodies?
Monoclonal antibodies are laboratory-made proteins that mimic your immune system’s ability to fight off harmful viruses. Casirivimab + Imdevimab (Regeneron) are monoclonal antibodies that are specifically designed to protect against the spike protein of COVID-19. These proteins are designed to stop the virus from entering human cells.
In November 2020, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued an Emergency Use Authorization to allow the use of monoclonal antibodies for the treatment of mild to moderate symptoms of COVID-19. Further data has been published showing the benefit of reducing hospitalization rates in people at high risk for severe COVID-19 infection.
What are the criteria for COVID MAB therapy?
- A positive test result for SARS CoV-2 viral testing (COVID-19) is required;
- Must have mild to moderate symptoms for 10 days or less;
- Must be at least 18 years of age or older; and
- Must be at high-risk for progressing to severe COVID-19 infection and/or hospitalization as determined by your physician.
Who cannot receive COVID MAB Therapy?
- Anyone still waiting for a COVID-19 test result.
- Anyone who has received a negative COVID-19 test result.
- People with symptoms for more than 10 days.
- New or increased oxygen requirement, hospitalized patients.
- People without risk factors for severe disease. (Some examples of risk factors may include age greater than 65, chronic lung or kidney disease, pregnancy, and others. Your doctor can help you determine if you do or don’t have risk factors.)
How do I schedule an appointment for COVID MAB Therapy?
- Call your doctor as soon as possible if you are sick and believe you qualify.
- An order must be sent by your physician to the Infusion Center at Dignity Health, Yavapai Regional Medical Center.
- A YRMC representative will call you to schedule your appointment once the physician order has been received.
Submitted by Dignity Health, Yavapai Regional Medical Center